The TOEFL Speaking section is an area you can score some good easy points. Take a look at the main information and tips to help you get the best score you can!
- The Speaking section lasts for around 17 minutes
- There are 2 speaking sections
- The First section (independent) has 1 question
- The Second section (integrated) has 3 questions
- The first section is independent- you will be given a question to answer about yourself- 15 seconds to prepare, 45 seconds to answer
- The second section’s first question also contains a reading and listening.
- Read the passage (50 seconds), listen to a conversation(1 minute), and talk about the arguments of the people (30 seconds prep, 1 minute speaking).
- The second question of the integrated section is a lecture, also with a reading and listening section.
- Read the passage (45 seconds), listen to a lecture(1 minute), and talk about the lecture(30 seconds prep, 1 minute speaking).
- The final question only has a listening and speaking section and is based on a lecture.
- Listen to a Lecture(2 minutes), and talk about the lecture (20 seconds prep, 1 minute speaking).
Try some other TOEFL sections:
Try some TOEFL Reading questions
Record yourself – make sure when you are practising, you record yourself and listen to how you sound when giving answers
Questions – The questions are always in the same order and of the same type, so make sure you understand what each question will be like.
Time – Practise timing, and be able to give your answer within the time.
Vocabulary – try to look at as many topics as you can to increase your vocabulary.
Structure – Have a few introductory sentences or linking sentences that you can use in different situations to give yourself some thinking time.
Summarizing – practise summarizing videos, articles or audio you come across day to day.