The TOEFL writing section is an area you can score some good easy points. Take a look at the main information and tips to help you get the best score you can!
- The Writing section lasts for around 50-56minutes
- There are 2 writing sections, the Integrated and Independent writing task
- Integrated task – read a passage (3 mins) then listen to a speaker(2-3 mins) before writing (20 mins)
- Integrated task – 250-300 words
- Independent task – given a topic to write about.
- Independent task – 30 mins of writing time
- Independent task – 350-400 words
Try some other TOEFL sections:
Try some TOEFL Reading questions
- NOT YOUR OPINION – stick to what the passage and people say.
- Take good notes, especially on the listening
- make sure you know which argument is from the listening and the reading
- Give reasons from the passages in your essay
- Don’t copy from the reading
- ONLY YOUR OPINIONS
- You can lie if you think your opinion is not interesting, you’re not sure about the topic
- Provide some reasons for your opinion
- Make your opinion clear in the first 2 sentences
- Don’t copy from the question
Structure – Make sure you have 2/3 essay structures you can use for your writing, including an introduction, 2/3 arguments in different paragraphs and a conclusion is usually best.
Time – Practise timing, and be able to write information quickly.
Vocabulary – try to look at as many topics as you can to increase your vocabulary.
Planning – spend a few minutes planning your essay and writing down the most interesting points and arguments you want to include.
Proofread – spend 1/2 minutes at the end going through your essay and making some SMALL changes that you can see need to be made.
Question – Make sure that you answer the question, and not talk about something unrelated.